CTCS 505 Survey of Interactive Media
Spring 2017—Mondays 10:00 – 13:50
Course Website: ctcs505.com
Instructor: Kiki Benzon
Office: SCI 101c
Office Hours: by appointment
Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Teaching Assistant: Manouchka Labouba
Office / Office Hours: by appointment
Contact Info: email@example.com
In this course, we will examine the history, aesthetics, and cultural implications of interactivity through media. Pursuing a spectrum of interactive avenues—cinematic, literary, artistic, virtual, ludic, communicative—we will consider the ways in which media work to mobilize creativity and extend individual and collective agency. Our exploration will involve critical analyses of media artifacts and the representation of the cultural effects of these artifacts in cinematic, online, and exhibitory contexts. We will also experience, play, and create interactive media works, and discuss practices in the field with industry, academic, and artistic specialists.
You will emerge from this course with
- an enhanced understanding of interactive media modalities and their function in cultural evolution and exchange
- a grounding in media theory in the contexts of critical theory and art history
- insight into the interactive affordances of digital technology
- familiarity with important interactive media applications in cinema, games, documentary, mixed-media/immersive storytelling, and installation/environmental art
- critical writing on media theory, cultural studies, and interactive practices and artifacts
- a creative work employing production technologies and software in interactive cinema, video games, augmented reality, digital narrative, or another media platform
Required Readings and Supplementary Materials
Readings will be provided as PDFs, which can be accessed on the course website, ctcs505.com.
A special consideration in taking this course is participation in a field trip to an escape room or other immersive/interactive experience. You will be asked to pay for at least part of the admission cost, probably around $25. You will also be asked to purchase one or more apps or games; this expense will come to less than $50.